The NWT Chamber issued a response to Emerging Stronger.
Today, we are writing to you regarding the Emerging Stronger document that was released on May 31, 2021. The NWT Chamber of Commerce represents businesses across the NWT regardless of size, sector, and location. The NWT Chamber is the largest and most broadly-based business organization North of 60, representing every region of the NWT. Working in association with the network of community chambers in Norman Wells, Fort Simpson, Hay River, Thebacha, and Yellowknife, the NWT Chamber represents members' interests across the NWT. For over 45 years, we have been the only pan-territorial voice of businesses across all sectors of the northern economy. We have identified the following as our working mandate to our membership and Community Chambers:
- To foster business development as the basis of economic and social progress in the NT;
- To work together with the Community Chambers, Territorial/Provincial chambers, and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce to propose & develop policy and advocate for legislative changes of benefit to the NWT business community;
- To serve as an avenue for professional business relations between our members; the business sector, and all levels of government;
- To offer business input to government legislation and policy formation;
- To create an NWT business climate of competitiveness, innovation, and profitability for member businesses of all sizes and sectors.
In February 2020, the 19th Legislative Assembly released their mandate, which reviewed focus economically, socially, and financially. We found that much of the 19th Legislative Assemblies mandate matched the NWT Chamber's mandate in pursuing growing the NWT economy for all.
We applaud the 19th Legislative Assembly undertaking this review and acknowledging the wins and lessons learned. As every jurisdiction governing and attempting to keep their economy going through a pandemic is something that no one was prepared for nor could anticipate.
We would hope that there would be a more substantive direction on steps forward, based on lessons learned, and felt that there could have been detailed breakdowns of moving forward.
Mandate Report Card